During the 1980s, five City of Wilson historic districts were listed on the National Register and three of those districts became City Recognized Districts working under the guidelines of the Historic Preservation Commission. All historic districts are Federally Recognized and eligible for the NC Historic Tax Credits. For more information about the work of the Historic Preservation Commission please contact Dana Corson, City of Wilson Preservationist, at 252-399-2225 or email@example.com. For more information about the Historic Tax Credits, contact John Wood at 252-830-6580 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Old Wilson Historic District
The Old Wilson Historic District dates from the 1850s through the 1920s when Wilson’s agriculturally-based economy was booming. The district was home to many business leaders, merchants, clerks, and salesman. Notable home styles include antebellum, bungalows, Victorian, and Colonial Revival.
Broad-Kenan Historic District
The Broad-Kenan Historic District symbolizes Wilson’s decades of expansion between 1890 and the Great Depression of the 1930s. The popular bungalow designs make up more than 60% of the residential neighborhood near downtown, with a sprinkling of Colonial Revival and Tudor Revival structures.
East Wilson Historic District
The East Wilson Historic District was developed between 1890 and 1040, and when listed, was identified as the largest working class African-American neighborhood in North Carolina. The area is predominantly residential and many one and two-story frame dwellings with standing-seam metal roofs. The homes of the most prominent residents were located on Green, Pender and Nash streets.
West Nash Historic District
The West Nash Historic District was developed from 1900 through the 1920s and contains homes of some of the most successful merchants, professionals, planters and tobacconists. Colonial Revival and bungalows are the most prevalent styles in the district.
Tobacco Warehouse District
The Tobacco Warehouse District is the heart of the City of Wilson and Center City. Most of the architectural fabric in the district dates from the early twentieth century when the tobacco (and to a lesser extent, cotton) markets ushered Wilson into a period of unprecedented prosperity leading to commercial and residential growth. With the introduction of tobacco cultivation in this area in the 1870s and its expansion during the 1880s, the need arose for a market in the area. The Wilson market opened on Spetember 10, 1890 and by 1919 became the largest Bright Leaf Tobacco market in the world. Today it is known as the “World’s Greatest Tobacco Market” moving more tobacco than any other tobacco market in North American.
To learn more about the boundaries of the Historic Districts, see below.
Map of the historic districts